Thursday, June 26, 2008

Yet another book


I finished another book -- have I mentioned I LOVE to read? I loved this book. The title was "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. She was in her early 30s when she went through an ugly divorce -- she decided she needed to "get away" and re-discover herself. She spent four months in Italy, four months in India and four months in Bali, Indonesia. The book is written as a memoir and I felt like I was traveling through these countries with her. When she was in Bali, she turned 35. My age. I thought about all she had gone through by the time she was my age. Of course I have gone through different things that she hasn't gone through, but I admired so much her courage, bravery and her spirit. I highly, highly recommend this book -- especially if you are struggling with who you are or you feel like your life is at a standstill. Love it. I'll share one part with you that I felt related to me. When she was in India she stayed at an Ashram (which I pictured as sort of a compound). During her stay there she learned meditaion and Yoga rituals (the "pray" part of her journey). After a few months she knew she needed to stop talking so much so people could concentrate (something I struggle with). This is what she wrote:


"This (talking) has been the story of my life. It's how I am. But I've been thinking lately that this is maybe a spiritual liability. Silence and solitude are universally recognized spiritual practices, and there are good reasons for this. Learning how to discipline your speech is a way of preventing your energies from spilling out of you through the rupture of your mouth, exhausting you and fillng the world with words, words, words instead of serenity, peace and bliss."


This doesn't mean I'll stop talking. After all, I'm not at an Ashram in India. Thank goodness.

5 comments:

Susan said...

I think I saw the author on Oprah a while back. At the time, I thought about getting the book but totally forgot (I do that a lot lately - old age I guess) Thanks for the reminder! I too talk way too much, but you may remember that. Actually, silence even makes me a little nervous. Maybe the book will help me find a way to be more comfortable with silence. Think I'll make a trip to the library or bookstore next week=)

Andrea said...

Brooke--thanks for the reminder that silence can be bliss. I too have a hard time with that. I agree with Susan, if it is too silent I feel weird like I need to talk, and usually feel dumb after I do say something, then I think, "why didn't I just keep quiet". I talk WAY too much. I appreciate you posting about all of these books because I think they will help me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder to just be still. That reminds me of something that my grandpa says-it's better to be quiet and thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt. Hmmm, maybe I should take his (and the author's) advice once in awhile. :)

Brooke said...

Susan and Andrea:

I'll put a few books in a box and mail them out to you next week. I'll include the last two I read. That way you can take your time reading. Just send me your address.... :)

Coty said...

brooke-
i'm not sure i can rise to the occasion; i'm pron to much talk and tom-foolery...
however, i do agree and i suppose that which can be agreed upon can atleast be given an attempt.
i'll lock my mouth but keep the key around my neck (should a sarcastic "tone" tickle my throat).

;)